Saturday, January 24, 2015

Kwik Sew Pajamas and Cotton Knits

Photo sent by our daughter
Kwik Sew Pajama Pattern 3510
T1-T2-T3-T4


It's a good thing I finally got these PJs sewn up when I did, or the two cousins would have already outgrown them. That's what I get for procrastinating. I had the fabric several months ago, but had a mental block about using red ribbing with them, and it was impossible to find the exact blue in ribbing fabric. Finally I realized that I had to get these done if they weren't going to be too small for them, so I sewed them, red ribbing and all. I was surprised at how much I liked the finished product. 

 The Other Cousin's New Jammies
Photo sent by our son



I fell for the little fire engines and Dalmatians when I first saw the fabric at JoAnn's. Unfortunately, there were, and still are, very few kid prints available in 100% cotton knit.

We used to be able to buy cotton knits in Eau Claire at Mill Ends Textiles, which had a huge selection of cotton knits, among other fabrics. The store has recently closed. With the dwindling number of mills in this country, naturally there are fewer mill ends.


One can go into any fabric store these days and find enough woven fabrics to delight any quilter, but for someone who wants to sew a simple pair of kids' cotton knit pajamas with a cute print, those fabrics are becoming harder to find. A friend steered me to Fabric.com and I was able to find a few there, but not a huge selection, nothing like the rows of bolts of cotton knits.


 I loved the fire engines and Dalmatians on this cotton knit


I went to the fabric store yesterday to see if I could find the next size larger in this pajama pattern, but could no longer even find this pattern, Kwik Sew 3510. Evidently, it's no longer in print. How could it be out of print? It's a classic pajama pattern. Also, one thing I've noticed about some patterns, is that the instructions don't always give the easiest or smartest way to do something. It had been a while since I'd sewn, and because I followed the instructions, I had to rip out the waistband and the neckband before simply doing what made the most sense.


August, 2014
The pajama recipients - the cousins

Now I'm considering what to do with the piece of cotton knit fabric below.

 Another piece of cotton knit from my stash
Do you think this would work for pajama pants for a 7 year old grandson?

Anyway, my favorite patterns are Kwik Sew and Simplicity. Usually they have the most understandable and sensible instructions. Do you have a favorite?  Do you have a source for 100% cotton knits?  Do you sew? Do you know what a sewing machine is? ;-)

Hope you have a great weekend, friends. I can't believe that January is almost over!


***

Check out my handcrafted, vegan soaps.
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

Chunky Lemon Drop & Chunky Wild Berry
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

Special Price!

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at



Although I usually forget to do it, there is a chance that this post will be linked to one or more of these great linky parties:  Amaze Me Monday and Inspiration Monday and Mosaic Monday and The Barn Collective and    Treasure Box Tuesday and Vintage Bliss Tuesday and KatheWithAnE and Rubbish Tuesday and Our World Tuesday and Tuesdays at our Home and Tuesday with a Twist and  Knick of Time Tuesday (vintage)  and   Tweak it Tuesday and Vintage Inspiration Wednesday and Ivy and Elephants Wednesday and Adorned From Above  and Artsy Corner Thursday and  All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and Good Fences on Thursdays and  Time Travel Thursday and Freedom Fridays and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Simple Saturdays Blog Hop and Saturday's Critters

39 comments:

September Violets said...

Those are great looking PJs! And the tropical Mickey Mouse fabric is so cute! Here we have a staple fabric store, Fabricland, and although they have tons of fabric, they don't carry any good quality quilting cotton. But they do have quite a bit of child friendly pajama fabrics. It's where I got the fleece for my son's bathrobe. When I was getting the fabric cut, the store clerk was eyeing my pattern. She told me it was out of print also, and that she was having trouble finding a bathrobe pattern with a hood. Then she tried to convince me to give it to her!! Sorry, I love this pattern as it goes together beautifully. I have another pattern for bathrobes that was just so unnecessarily complicated and no fun to sew (for my daughter). I could sew all day :) Wendy x

MadSnapper said...

mother had so many simplicity patterns, she has boxes of them.. i can't even sew a straight line. or a crooked one. threading the machine makes me crazy and sticking in the bobbin which always got tangled... i love these and the red looks fantastic on them...

MadSnapper said...

ps wish i could sew like this

Pamela Gordon said...

Cute pajamas and cousins too! I have a beautiful (older) sewing machine in a nice cabinet that I don't use as I haven't sewed in years. I'd get too frustrated with threading and jamming bobbins etc so I gave up. Enjoy the weekend.

Theresa said...

My sewing machine is covered in dust:) You inspire me to get it out! Love those PJs:) Great job! Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Debbie said...

Good morning! Can't tell you how excited I was to come on here this morning and find an honest to goodness SEWING post, lol. Quilting posts are easy to find your right, as is quilting cotton etc. But a post on patterns, and knits, and how hard they are to find, well forget it, lol. Anyway, yes I too have bemoaned for a while how you just can't find GOOD knit anymore. My sources are I do find some at Joannes. Very little though. They do carry a line of knits called Doddles though that has some cute kid prints and they are getting in more and more of it. Then I also have found some nice knits at Hobby Lobby, though not a lot of what you might call traditional kid knits. Then I use Fabric.com, Girl Charlie, Spoonflower (though they are ridiculously expensive here) and what is turning into my new favorite, on Etsy. I simply type in once I've pulled up Etsy, either organic cotton knit, or cotton jersey knit and quite a few selections come up. These days the kids are using such nontraditional prints for their kids leggings etc and you can find quite a bit of that there. As for patterns...goodness, I don't follow directions in most traditional things I make as they usually have such "funny" ways of doing simple things. I have a way I do ribbing on PJ's etc., that is soo simple as I do for elastic on waist bands as well. The PJ's for your grandson are ADORABLE, and personally red for the ribbing was perfect and would have been my first choice. For these type of PJ's though I would also choose flannel. As long as the ribbing is all in knit it works great and there is more choices in flannel for kids then in anything I can think of. Tons and tons of it. And Joannes sells it sometimes for as little as 2 or 3 bucks a yard. Just make sure you pre-wash it as it does shrink BADLY. I have taken to buying PDF patterns on line as you can usually find just about anything you might want that way but I have had mixed results on that. Some of them have just been perfect, while others are very unclear, and somewhat of a nightmare, lol. I love the Mickey fabric and yes they would cute Pj bottoms I think or even just a pair of jammies too. Make just cute T'shirts too. Well, I bet your sorry you got me started on sewing and fabric, lol. Enjoy your week-end!

Linda Kay said...

Judy those are so warm and cuddly, and so special from Granny!

21 Wits said...

I bet you are just a beloved grandma! Life is so precious when we have loved ones to share in joyfulness!

Sunny Simple Life said...

Those are great cause I hate the weird fabric pjs are made of for kids. I like a soft cotton. You should share over on the hop today. That group loves stuff like this.

Arlene G said...

Those pjs are precious Judy!! And I am with you, when I did sew, Simplicity was my go to patterns. It is sad that you cannot find what you need to sew the things you want to sew. I just hate that so much of the milled fabric made here in the USA is a thing of the past.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

As frustrating as it can be....yes, I still sew! But I only have 4 bobbins! haha! And I think the fabric would be adorable...hard to find cute fabric for a boy. Have FUN! Hugs, Diane

Suzan said...

My Mom sewed everything we wore growing up!! Even my homecoming dresses and prom dresses!! She did a wonderful job and they were always one of a kind!! When my daughters were young and through 1st or 2nd grade, I would sew quite a bit. But Walmart came along and I went back to work. . . . .
You did a wonderful job on your Grandson's PJs!!! Every time I go into any of the fabric shops, I want to buy lots of fabric. But it would never get sewn!! So adorable - the Hawaiian Micky!!
Judy, You are such a GOOD Grandma.

Lynne said...

Adorable Thank You . . .
Adorable Grandsons . . .

My mom used to sew my children many things . . . She was a master at sewing and knitting . . . I looked on and appreciated . . .

Diane said...

Been a loooong time since I sewed. I agree about some patterns being more difficult than others. A lot of the newer ones have odd cutting layouts too. The pjs you made look great!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

You are so talented and I love how you keep so busy. Those PJ's are adorable!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Great job on the PJ's! You grandson is so cute in his. I am not a sewer so I admire anyone who can.
Have a great weekend.

J said...

There's nothing cuter than a little boy in a snuggly pair of pjs that grandma made for him!
I would have advised that red trim right from the get-go! Perfect!
And I sympathize with you on seeing our favorite "anything" suddenly whisked away in the name of "progress!" I used to snicker at my mom's friend who bought 18 pairs of a slipper she liked just in case they were discontinued! Her daughter, my best friend, gave me a pair when she passed away. I've grown to love them, they are wearing out, and you guessed it! - they are NOWHERE to be found. No wonder people hoard!

TexWisGirl said...

cute pjs and cute grandsons! i think they're wonderful.

Alex said...

Those are cute n' clever!
I'm sure he DID love them : )

Deb said...

What a cute little jigger that Henry is. :)

Nancy said...

I have made a garment in ages, but Simplicity was by far my favorite pattern company. I still have a big box of patterns that I'll probably never use again. Sure is hard to part with them.

Love the "Thank you" photo!

Linda said...

Can I adopt you as my grandmother(giggling)--yes, I know what a sewing machine is, I have one and I have not used it in a long time. I have never made my own clothes, I usually make tablecloths and curtains. Blessings

This N That said...

Cute PJ's..Cute kids... cute post

Terri D said...

Very cute fabric and PJs!! I used to sew a lot, and do know my way around a sewing machine (though mine is probably 40 years old - Singer keeps on ticking). I no longer have a place to get it out, and leave it out to work on a project, so I just don't sew anymore. I do sort of miss it.

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Well done, Judy! I have never sewn pajamas. Henry is a cutie, no wonder you wish to outfit him! :-)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Aren't you a nice Grandma sewing some PJs!
I used to be able to do some basic sewing but haven't done any for years. Our granddaughter gave me her machine that was a gift from Santa one year but she doesn't want it and I haven't attempted anything yet.
Would love to find an easy pattern to make myself some skirts. Any suggestions?
See, I do know what a sewing machine is. :-)

Ginny Hartzler said...

The pajamas are awesome, and they look warm and cozy. We have only one place that sells fabric...Wal-Mart. And that it IT! If we want to go to a fabric store or a craft store with fabric, we have to drive out of town. Jo-Ann's is over a half hour away.

Susie said...

Judy, You did a fine job on those pj's. I love them. Maybe you could just add a few inches all the way around the pattern you have. I use to sew like crazy when my girls were small. I made a ton of their clothes. I miss sewing as I used to. I think when things start to strain my eyes...I just don't like the stress. Blessings to you and your sweet little guys. xoxo,Susie

Stephanie said...

Awww... what cute jammies! I sew, but have never attempted PJ's before. Yours are so cute that I may have to go find a pattern and make some for my son :)

Hugs to you!

Buttercup said...

Cute, cute pajamas and pajama wearers. Admire your sewing skill!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

So adorable!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Adorable pj's and adorable little boys. They look so happy with their new pj's.

tlcukjourney said...

Oh my gosh!! What talent you have! I can't even sew! I wish I could, but I can't... and those jamas are darling! You will have to email me and let me know when you'll be in England if you will be in London during that time, I would really love to meet you Judy!
Much love, Tammy x

Cheryl said...

I love the fabric you chose. My son would have loved those pajamas when he was a little boy as he was wild about all things fireman!

I do sew some, but I sew more for the home than I do clothing. I find that curtains, pillows, etc. are more forgiving. :)

Pat said...

Cute jammies and cute kids...and I love the Mickey fabric!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

The first picture is aboslutely adorable!

Michelle said...

Judy, I love the pj's!
If our guys were still little they would love them, too!
The red looks great!

Judy S. said...

Very cute PJs! I've got some fabric waiting for me for PJs and had better get cracking. David just turned 10 and I know for sure he's outgrown the dinosaur print!

Donna said...

Great job! I think the red trim really sets the pjs off. And the other fabric should be terrific for a seven-year old. I have a sewing machine and do simple sewing. I sure don't try to make clothes! I have to hem all of my t-shirts and it is a job that I detest. I have never, ever figured out how to do the hemming job the best (without it unraveling later on and looking sloppy).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails