Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Kotopita - Greek Chicken Pies


Disclaimer:

Unfortunately, I thought to take a photo of the kotopita after we had eaten dinner, so what you're seeing  here is what I came up with after doing an online image search of kotopita and not stopping until I found one that looked exactly like the one we had for dinner - except that I made ours in a 9x13 cake pan, not a round pan. And no kidding, it was crispy and golden on all sides. I think it helped that I used a pretty thin 9x13 metal pan. I would imagine the outcome would have been quite different if I'd used a glass baking dish.

I had never used phyllo dough before because it always seemed a bit intimidating. Somehow, the dishes made with it seem very complicated, but they're really not - at least not this one. It was just fussy and time-consuming preparing things, but with encouragement from my friend who gave me her recipe, I forged ahead, and with the help of my daughter-in-law and two granddaughters, we made a little assembly line and got the job done!

I will definitely make this again - and will also make the Spanokopita recipe she gave me.

KOTOPITA  (chicken pies)  (I actually doubled this recipe and it took 2  9x13 cakepans)

6 T. butter plus 1/2 c. butter
minced onion
chopped mushrooms
chopped parsley
minced clove garlic
1 T. flour
1/4 c. dry white wine
2 T. olive oil
2 chicken breasts, halved laterally
8 sheets phyllo dough
1 c. bread crumbs (I used Panko)
1/2 # Feta cheese

In 2 T. butter, saute onion and garlic
Then when that's about done, add mushrooms
then parsley. Another 2 minutes.

Mix flour and wine, then stir that into the vegetable mix and heat, stirring, til it thickens.
Season with salt and pepper.
***

2 T. butter 2 T olive oil
Saute chicken til light brown (there are 4 pcs)

NOW:  Melt the stick of butter to use for brushing phyllo dough

For each chicken breast, do the following:
Brush sheet of phyllo dough with the melted butter
Sprinkle bread crumbs on top
Another sheet of buttered phyllo
Another sprinkle of bread crumbs on top
A layer of sauteed chicken breast
A layer of the vegetable mix
A layer of Feta
Now, fold the sides and ends in like you would wrap a package.
Set seam side down in the cake pan (I sprayed it with Pam first)

When all chicken breasts have been done like this, drizzle remaining butter on top.

Bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

We made ours the day before and set it in the refrigerator. An hour before you're going to eat, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then set pan (uncovered) of kotopita in the preheated oven and bake 35-40 minutes or until golden and crispy.

P.S. I will bear no responsibility for the content of the site where I found the photo. It's all Greek to me, and I have no idea what it's about...except that it had the photo I needed. So don't blame me if you find something objectionable. I don't read Greek.

***



Have you entered the Giveaway?



'Fig & Brown Sugar'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all our handcrafted soaps at


 This post may be linked to some of the following: Mop it Up Monday  and  Cure for the Common Monday and  Clever Chicks Blog Hop and  Barn Charm and  The Marketplace  and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and    Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and   You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Creative Showcase and  Tweak it Tuesday and Memories by the Mile and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday  and Love Bakes Good Cakes  and Overflowing With Creativity and Mom on TimeOut  and Adorned from Above and Wildcrafting Wednesday and   Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and Creative Things Thursday and Be Inspired and Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Friday Fences and  Thursday's Inspiration and  The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and Creative Things Thursday and   Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and Freedom Fridays and  Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and  A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday and  Market Yourself Monday and  Saturday Nite Special


31 comments:

Trace4J said...

Good Morning
Yummy. I will have to try that one.
Love the previous post with Family.
What a beautiful Family you have.
Such fun new memories too.
Woolie Blessings :)

Eileen H said...

That looks really delicious!
We call it filo pastry here in the UK and I have never used it myself.
My husband doesn't like apple strudel, so I guess he wouldn't like chicken pie made with filo pastry...but I know I would love it. He does like chicken pie made with shortcrust pastry though:-)

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Oh my gosh, it looks and sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try it!

Diane said...

Looks good! Phyllo dough always appeared "fussy" to me too.

MadSnapper said...

looks divine to me

Unknown said...

I've always thought the same thing about phyllo dough.. but now with your statement, I wonder what my excuse will be from here on out!! lol
I have had kotopita before and it was delicious.. and your recipe sounds just like the one I had!

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Judy, This is a fabulous recipe for Greek Kotopita. I used to live on the Island of Cyprus and my Cypriot friend, Maria used to make a very similar pie using filo pastry.
I am certainly going to be trying your recipe as it looks delicious.
I have enjoyed reading your blog and have become a new follower.
If you have time, I would like to invite you to visit me at, Ivy, Phyllis and Me!.....you would be most welcome.
Have a lovely day,
Best wishes
Daphne

Suzan said...

Have never had this - but if it's Greek - it HAS to be good!!

Deanna said...

Oh, my goodness - that sounds delicious (minus the mushrooms to which I'm allergic). I've never used phyllo dough but have been wanting to.

Judy said...

Oh my goodness that is making my mouth water.

Ladies Holiday said...

That looks quite indulgent! I've been lovin Greek food lately- yum!

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

Looks soooo delicious!! I'm going to have to try this one!!

Carla from The River said...

Yummy. Let me know when you make this again, we will come over. ;-)

Debra Hawkins said...

I have never heard of it, but it looks beautiful! I will have to try it.

Paulette said...

The recipe sounds delicious, thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Rachel said...

My best friend's husband is Greek- I'll have to send her this recipe!!

:)

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

That looks delicious!

Olive said...

The pie looks yummy. I am scared of phyllo dough. Really I am.

Lois Christensen said...

Your recipe sounds really good. I have only used phyllo dough one time and it was bc I purchased it by mistake but like you said, it wasn't that bad!

Terri D said...

That looks SO good!! I love spanakopita, and can only imagine how good this would be!

podso said...

Funny disclaimer. I'm pinning this. Looks like a good "company" dinner ...thanks for posting!

Empty Nester said...

Ok, you have a choice. Either stop showing these delicious dishes or prepare to be barraged with bloggers coming to your house for dinner! :)

Denise said...

Going to try this.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, I'll be over with the rest of the bloggers. When and what time? This looks soooo good. Thank you for the recipe.

Consider yourself hugged.
http://simpleesue.com/try-one-new-recipe-a-week-bed-and-breakfast-cherry-crumb-coffee-cake/

Anonymous said...

This looks/sounds so good. I'll be glad to get moved/settled so I can eat again! God bless your day!

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

I have some phyllo dough in the freezer. This recipe looks great.

With A Blast said...

I have a similar recipe, which I have been eyeing for a while now {also intimidated with phyllo, although I have used it before} - think I will try your recipe soon! Thank you for sharing at our ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party :-)

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, this looks amazing! I love phyllo dough - it cracks and flakes anyway, so who will know if you tear it before baking? It's more forgiving than pie crust! Once you get the hang of it, you want to make new dishes with it because it looks so impressive when you serve them ... :)

With A Blast said...

You have been featured today at the ALL MY BLOGGY FRIENDS party ! Come on by and grab a featured button if you wish :-)

http://withablast.blogspot.com/2013/04/all-my-bloggy-friends-link-party-42.html

Rachel Rose Mercantile said...

Looks amazing!

Kathy said...

Wow, this looks amazing - beautiful and delicious! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails