Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Best Gluten-Free Bread Recipe

Gluten-free loaves, just out of the oven

Although the crust of even gluten-free bread is pretty delicious when it's just come from the oven, I've found that I prefer gluten-free bread for toast. It makes a great peanut butter holder. This recipe came from my daughter, and it makes a couple great and crusty loaves. In my opinion, the crustier the better.

I always let this bread cool completely, then slice it into 1/2 inch slices,  put them in a Ziploc freezer bag, and freeze until I want to use a slice or two. That way I don't waste any bread. Also, I find that it needs to be toasted a long time to get to the golden brown which I like.

Best Gluten-Free Bread Recipe:

1 3/4 c. white rice flour
1/2 c. sweet white sorghum flour
1 c. tapioca flour
3 t. xanthan gum
1 1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar

Mix dry ingredients.
THEN, melt 2 T butter. In separate bowl, combine 1 1/2 c. warm water with 2 packets of yeast (4 t).
Stir once, then leave until it gets soft and a little foamy around the edges. Beat three egg whites by hand until they're frothy.
Turn the oven to 100 degrees.

Combine butter, yeast mixture, egg whites, and 1 t. apple cider vinegar with the dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed. It will be a bit sticky. Don't expect this to feel like regular gluten bread.

Cover a jelly roll pan with parchment and put a little corn meal where the loaves will go. Divide the dough in half and shape into two loaves (you can see I'm not so good with fractions. I think that stems from when I was a child and was instructed to give my sister half of my candy.) 

Lay each loaf onto the pan (make a few slashes in each loaf with a sharp knife) and place in warm oven for 20-25 minutes. It won't rise like gluten bread, but don't worry. In fact, don't open the oven door. 

Do not remove bread from oven. Instead, just turn the oven to 400 degrees and now set the timer for 35 minutes. 

Check the loaves at 30, 35, and 40 minutes. They should be golden and when tapped, should sound hollow. In my oven, it took 39 minutes.

Cool completely before slicing and freezing.

This is the best gluten-free bread I've ever eaten!





Thanks for stopping in!


Judy



10 comments:

Unknown said...

The bread looks lovely, Judy! The crust looks perfect! Personal, as much as I love homemade bread just sliced and with a little butter.... Toasting it and smearing peanut butter on it is my absolute favorite way to enjoy it!

jennyfreckles said...

Mm, looks good. I try to avoid a lot of wheat but most GF bread is disappointing, too crumbly and dry.. I might try this one.

Debra Hawkins said...

My aunt has been trying to get me to go Gluten Free for a long time. She thinks it would solve some of my health problems. Do you eat completely gluten free?

Unknown said...

I can just smell your kitchen from all the way down here. LOVE that smell of freshly baked bread! Ahhhhhhhh......good sigh.........

Candace said...

This bread looks absolutely delicious!

Yenta Mary said...

This looks so fabulous -- who'd ever guess it was GF??? I have to pass the recipe on to a friend who has lots of dietary issues, and who will love it ....

gluten free bread flour said...

Thanks for supporting the gluten free family.

Chatty Crone said...

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU. sandie

SomeGirl said...

Thanks for sharing the link to this again! I wasn't gluten free when you first shared it, so didn't pay attention back then. But now that we are gluten free I'm thankful for it! :) Love, Michelle

Goofynutty said...

Thanks for this lovely looking Gluten Free bread. Just by looking I know I will love it. When I get settled in my new home I definitely will try it and love ❤️ it

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails