Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Rich Inheritance

Look at that little boy, proudly holding the skis he got for Christmas, 1927. That's my dad. What a cute kid! Now that little boy is nearly 93 years old and living in a nursing home. And actually, he's still really cute!

My father is not, nor has he ever been, rich in a worldly sense, but he most definitely gave me a rich inheritance. He taught me who God is and who I am. I can clearly see my dad and mom sitting at the table, reading the Bible and praying daily for their children, their friends, their pastor, and their church.

I learned by Dad's example that God is gracious and kind and 100% reliable. Dad never expected me to be perfect, but he certainly wasted no time in instructing me when I'd done something wrong. He brought me to repentance - and eagerly forgave me. And that's what God does.

I learned from my father that I am a sinner, that Jesus took all of God's wrath toward my sin on himself when he was crucified. Because of that great love for me, I am forgiven of not only my sin but also my GUILT. Jesus freed me from the bondage of sin and guilt. Only through Jesus do I have complete joy and peace in my soul! My Dad taught me that.

Even though it is I now who reads the Bible to him, rather than the other way around, Dad has a calm assurance that he is in God's hands and believes God absolutely. He's still teaching me by example. What a rich inheritance!

4 comments:

Deborah said...

Oh My, I love that photo. You were blessed with wonderful parents who loved (love) God. What I remember plainly about both of them was their love and hospitality shared with others who came to visit. Yes, your dad is still a wonderful man with a most delightful sense of humor. :)

Cranberry Morning said...

I love that photo too! When I first came across it, I thought it was a young woman with a baby, accompanied by the two boys. Kevin said, 'That's not a baby, it's a doll.' It was just then that I saw those skinny little arms and realized he was right. THEN, immediately, I knew it was a Christmas photo, and all three kids were standing there with their Christmas presents - a doll, a drum, and skis. Those people are my Aunt Ruth, my Uncle Don, and the skier, my dad. :-)

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

A lovely photo and a beautiful post and tribute to your dad!

Cranberry Morning said...

Thank you, Carrie. You can imagine what a wonderful surprise it was for me to come across that photo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails